Mons Calpe S.C. vs Gibraltar United

Match corresponding to the 23rd round of the Gibrlatarian Premier Division and played on Tuesday 10th April at 20:30. Match report brought to you courtesy of Turicum Private Bank and Quantocoin.

quantocoin logo

Turicum Logo 2016, white on blue background, two lines - 2 June 2016

Gibraltar United 1 – 2 Mons Calpe S.C.

Vela (OG)

Gibraltar United

1   Kyle ‘Chino’ Goldwin
23 Andre De Oilveira Farinha
15 Aymen Mouelhi
5   Erin Barnett
8   Filipe Aguiar
4   Yalany Baio
39 Leo Pereyra
24 Jamie Bosio
20 Michael Negrette
17 Marco Meireles
9   Ayman Elghobashy


Filipe Da Cruz Ramalho on for Michael Negrette
Javier Cantelmi on for Leo Pereyra

Manolo welcomes back Yalany Baio to the fold and the timing is perfect as Carlos Carrasco is missing out due to an accumulation of yellow cards. With Ponce De Leon still missing it is as we were elsewhere as the management team keeps faith with the group that saw Europa F.C. off last week. Brad Power is named on the bench alongside Pipo and De Torres, the latter who scored with the Reserves on Sunday.



Back Row (l to r): Chino (C), Pereyra, Barnett, Elghobashy, Baio, Mouelhi. Front Row (l to r): Meireles, Aguiar, Farinha, Negrette, Bosio

Round 23 is being played across a number of weeks and this fixture corresponds to that particular round. The game was played in atrocious conditions as the weather had certainly taken a turn for the worse with heavy rain and driving winds affecting both teams equally. Mons Calpe started the strongest and Chino was called into an early intervention to gather up a Bernardes shot from outside the box. Pibe then had another chance shortly after it was only then that United began to creep into the game and have some possession. Jamie Boiso had our two best chances in a tepid first half with his second header in particular handled well by Grasso.

The second half was to be a different affair with both teams seeking to open the scoreline. Grasso saved from Elghobashy while Chino’s save was equal in quality to a Blanco over head kick. Mons by then had gone in front via a Pibe strike and United had restored parity 3 minutes later via a quite spectacular own goal by Vela from an Aguiar cross. Chino was booked following the Mons goal with vociferous claims that Sastrie had handled the ball following the ricochet from his save.

With the game tied the tension was palpable. Aguiar had a gilt edged chance to give United the lead following a break away but the Mons defender was able to exert enough pressure for Filipe to drive his shot wild. Alas it was an uncharacteristic lack of concentration on Erin’s part that gave Mons the three points. Pibe was able to capitalise and score the decisive final goal to give Mons three points vital to their cause. United need to pick themselves up and be ready for a game against Lynx F.C. on Saturday as we approach the final run in.


Turicum Logo 2016, white on blue background, two lines - 2 June 2016

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s