Rock Cup Semi-Final: Gibraltar United vs Mons Calpe S.C.

Match corresponding to the semi-final of the Gibtelecom Rock Cup and played on Monday 23rd April 2018 at 19:30. Match report brought to you courtesy of Turicum Private Bank and Quantocoin.

Turicum Logo 2016, white on blue background, two lines - 2 June 2016


Gibraltar United 0 – 5 Mons Calpe S.C.

Gibraltar United

1   Kyle ‘Chino’ Goldwin
23 Andre De Oilveira Farinha
5   Erin Barnett
6   Brad Power
15 Aymen Mouelhi
2   Alberto Del Rio Fernandez
8   Filipe Aguiar
40 Carlos Carrasco
24 Jamie Bosio
17 Marco Meireles
9   Ayman Elghobashy


Daniel Ponce de Leon on for Aymen Mouelhi
Filipe Da Cruz Ramalho on for Alberto Del Rio Fernandez
Michael Negrette on for Andre De Oliveira Farinha

Elghobashy and Mouehli return to the starting line up in a change of formation that sees Manolo adopt a wing back setup. Leo and Pipo drop to the bench as the club faces one of the most important games in its recent history.



Back Row (l to r): Mouelhi, Barnett, Elghobashy, Power, Carrasco, Chino (C) Front Row (l to r): Meireles, Farinha, Aguiar, Bosio, Alberto

It was an atypical match from the kick off. A change of system from our usual 4-3-3 meant an unusual line up but United had the first clear chance of the match, Aguiar left his marker behind by the by-line and crossed in a peach of a ball right onto the penalty spot. Jamie Bosio arrived a fraction of a second too late to poke the ball into an empty net. Things looked bright…

It was downhill from there as Mons Calpe frankly put in an excellent display from then on. They overpowered our midfield and their strikers, top guns in the Division, probed and pestered our defence until they opened the scoring following a breath taking move. A one-two on the wing left Farinha in check mate and Onega was to provide Pibe with the chance to drill one in from close range leaving Chino no chance. It was only just desserts for Mons’ play upto that point.

Manolo looked on as wave after wave of Mons attack assailed our defence. Marco and Filipe tried to get our play going but Ayman proved an isolated figure upfront. Desperate for a reaction the manager uncharacteristically made a double substitution 38 minutes into the game throwing on Dani and Pipo to look for some creativity and to try and win back midfield.

Alas it was to no avail as Mons continued to press and minutes later, indeed one minute before Mr Canepa blew for half time, Pibe scored an unmarked header to put his team 2-0 up. Indeed it could have been worse as the referee did not blow for a strong penalty shout in favour of Mons Calpe a few minutes before the goal was scored.

The second half was to be a mirror image of the first with Mons capitalising on three counter attacks to score three more goals to put United to the sword. No matter how hard we tried, and try we did, Mons were clearly the hungrier of the two teams and the better one on the field of play. Congratulations to them on a well-deserved semi-final win. For us, the league is still there with 6 games to play and the 3rd position and perhaps even the 2nd position to play for. We learn from the mistakes made and proceed to another massive game on Sunday evening against St Joseph’s.

quantocoin logo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s