Lynx Football Club vs Gibraltar United Football Club


Match corresponding to the 23rd round of the Gibraltarian Premier Division and played on Saturday 22nd April 2017 at 16:30. This match report is brought to you courtesy of Turicum Private Bank

Turicum Logo 2016, white on blue background, two lines - 2 June 2016

Gibraltar United Football Club 1 – 1 Lynx Football Club


Gibraltar United Football Club

1  Kyle ‘Chino’ Goldwin
3  Ashley Perez
19 Brad Power
15 Aymen Mouelhi
21 Erin Barnett
8  Andrew ‘Pishu’ Hernandez
9 Evan Green
24 Jamie Bosio
26 Ashley Rodriguez
6  Dexter Panzavechia
7  Robert Montovio (C)


Paul Podesta on for Evan Green
Anthony Hernandez on for Ashley Rodriguez
Kaylan Rumbo on for Robert Montovio

Following on from the morale boosting point against St Jospeh’s last time our United’s players were seeking to capitalise on a Lynx FC that had seemed very out of sorts in their last game out against Lions. Manolo welcomed back Robert and Ashley back into the first eleven. The former was back after a short injury lay off and the latter was back in midfield due to Aymen having to drop back into defence to cover the loss of Jason Pusey through injury. Paul Podesta also made a berth on the bench for the first time in 6 weeks after recovering from injury.

23-04-2017 11-30-23.jpg

23-04-2017 11-00-16.jpg

Pre-kickoff huddle!

Blustery levanter conditions faced all the 22 players at kick off with Lynx FC having the benefit of playing with the winds at their backs. It wasn’t long however before they were able to gain a more significant advantage. With United seeking to dominate the ball and get some passing game going Erin uncharacteristically dithered on the ball just outside our area. Lynx’s pacey forward, Kamara, was quick to spot this and rapidly closed down on Erin. Whether nerves or the fact that the game was only two minutes old, Erin was caught flat footed, lost possession and Kamara had rifled Lynx into a lead. United players and supporters were shell shocked at such an early set back but despite some dominance from the Yellows United soon took command of the match.

Dexter and Jamie Bosio were starting to impose themselves on the left side of midfield and gradually we began to push the Yellow and Black lines back. Dexter in particular was getting the best of the right back and began to put in some telling crosses. In one particular action Evan Green cut in front of Mosquera to latch onto a cross ball but tamely struck it with his weaker foot into the hands of a grateful Tellez in goal. Indeed special mention must go to man mountain Mosquera who was by far and away Lynx’s man of the match as he headed and batted away any ball we crossed into the box. As Mr Canepa called time on the first half United’s players could go into the dressing room happy that they could look forward to a second half with the wind at our backs and in our sails after a commanding fight back.

23-04-2017 11-09-14.jpg

Players walk off at half time.

Manolo made two changes at half time that were to have a massive impact on the game. Podesta was introduced to combat the immense Mosquera and Anthony was brought on to bring his skill and poise to our attack. United dominated the half from the kick off with an effective pressing on Lynx’s rear guard players that forced them into a lot of unforced errors. Podesta was starting to win the physical battle with Mosquera and Robert was starting to feed on the second balls as a result. Yet it was from corners that United were going to be the most dangerous. Perez floated one in from the right that had Tellez flapping all over his goal and a resulting Hernandez corner from the left brought the equaliser.

Anthony floated in a peach of ball that almost drifted driectly into the goal. With Tellez struggling to get to the ball he was barley able to palm it out. Credit to the keeper to getting to it but the ball fell to Jamie Bosio who cannoned the ball into the back of the net for his third goal of the season and a deserved equaliser for a United team that were giving their all for the three points. Supporter, Vanessa Correa, was able to get the goal on video from the stands.

23-04-2017 11-25-07.jpg

Its 1-1!

United continued to press after the restart with Lynx clearly affected by the goal. Another clear chance went begging when Anthony elected to try his luck from distance when he had free runners on either wing. Another chance went by the wayside when Lynx centre half, Hall, almost headed a Perez corner into his own net. Yet Lynx, with Mosquera at the fulcrum, weathered wave after wave of Red and White attacks (not a phrase we have used often this season!). Indeed Chino was largely a spectator for most for the second 45.

The game ultimately petered out as energy levels dropped on both sides. Having battled the elements and each other for 95 minutes both teams left the field with a point but United players knew they could have won all three. Attention now turns to Lions FC and perhaps the biggest game of the season next week. Kick off Saturday afternoon at 16:30!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s