Mons Calpe SC vs Gibraltar United Football Club

Match corresponding to the 21st Round of the Gibraltarian Premier Division and played on Saturday 21st March 2017 at 18:15

Gibraltar United Football Club 1 – 2 Mons Calpe SC


Gibraltar United Football Club

1  Kyle ‘Chino’ Goldwin (C)
3  Ashley Perez
19 Brad Power
21 Erin Barnett
15 Aymen Mouelhi
17 Kaylan Rumbo
8  Andrew ‘Pishu’ Hernandez
24 Jamie Bosio
6  Dexter Panzavechia
9  Evan Green
4  Anthony Hernandez


Jesse Victory on for Kaylan Rumbo

Jason Pusey was missing due to a suspension because of an accumulation of yellow cards. Both he and Robert Montovio should be back next week along with Max Bothen who has resumed training after a lengthy spell out with injury. Jason’s absence meant a reshuffle as Aymen moves back into defence while Pishu starts in midfield with Rumbo coming in as cover at right back.

02-04-2017 12-21-04.png

United started the match the brightest of the two teams. The initial 10 minutes brought incisive forward play and clever interactions between Anthony and the support from the flanks from Dexter and Evan. Indeed Mons seemed somewhat perplexed at what was happening as Anthony drove the Red and White attacks forward. This initial impetus was rewarded by a Jamie Bosio goal on the 8th minute. Anthony floated in a ball from a free kick on the left side of the Mons area, the resulting clearance fell to Jamie on the penalty spot. Without hesitation he drove his shot past the keeper to give United the lead and our first goal in a while.

Mons seemed rocked and two further chances followed. Anthony used a mixture of speed, power and skill to slide past two markers, into the area and sought the top corner. With Fraiz beaten the ball sailed just wide of the mark. More surprising was Aymen’s miss from a Perez crossed ball. He had a gilt edged chance to put us 2-0 up but send a shot wide that was almost impossible to miss. When another chance went begging shortly after supporters were wondering if Mons had been let off.

The Mons manager carried out a tactical reshuffle by putting the pacy Dos Santos into the full back position to counter Anthony, who was frankly making the defenders tremble with every charging run. This seemed to do the trick as Mons clawed their way into the game as Nuñez traded the ball for space as United’s lines compacted and began to weather the Mons storm; a storm that gave no real signs of danger as the first half petered out.

The second half however was to be different. Mons started just as United had and pushed hard from the kick off. As fatigue started to kick in so did a lack of concentration. A defensive mishap allowed Pibe to find himself with a golden chance to score. A striker of his quality did not give Chino a chance as he rifled his shot in. United tried to strike back, and with the introduction of Victory fresh legs to motor the midfield. Yet it was another individual mistake that gave Mons the lead as Di Piedi capitalised to smartly bury a crossed in ball in the smallest of spaces between the upright and Chino’s flailing hand. Aymen had another chance as he was now deployed as a centre forward and blasted a close range shot into the side netting. Despite a late surge Mons held out for three points that left a sour taste in the mouth.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s